I love my new job which I started about 18 months ago, but it has taken me almost as long to cope with the drive to work. Whoever said ‘life is the journey not the destination’ wasn’t stuck on the Ring Road between Furlong Road and Sunshine Avenue on a Friday evening!
Over this period I have attempted a variety of coping mechanisms, they range in effectiveness (from least to most) as follows. During the course of any commute I will sometime use all of them.
- Using the time to learn a new language via audio book
- Listening to talk back and news radio (increases stress)
- Listening to ‘easy listening’ radio stations (hello SmoothFM, but a bit too much Buble)
- Altering attitude (e.g. grateful I have a car that works, travelling on roads that are maintained, a job and a home to go to, the person who just cut me off must be a troubled soul who needs my sympathy and isn’t a jerk)
- Consciously breathing and being in the moment when I feel the stress levels rise – Ahhh